Monday, June 21, 2010

I love my Job !!


I love my Job!!

It has been one month since I started my new job … and I am loving it!! Looking forward to creating new education for all the hairdressers of the world and I mean the world. I have taken on the role of Global Education Manager for Matrix and it is refreshing to be in a position to make a difference in the quality education that is fed throughout our industry. I have been in love with hair since I was around eleven years old!  A couple of months ago did an interview with Estectica Mexico here is the interview:

How did you start in this business and how did you become Redken’s Creative Consultant? Since I was a young girl, around the age of eleven, I was fascinated and curious about fashion. I would watch fashion segments on television and runway shows. I knew even then that I wanted to be involved in the fashion industry in some manner. At first I thought I wanted to be a fashion designer, I even did my sixth grade science paper on fashion designers. Your probably thinking what does fashion have to do with science... well I always found a way to relate everything to fashion. I wrote about how the influence of coco channel popularized being suntan... the influence of fashion on social stigmas. Then proceeded to talk about the scientific affects of the sun on our skin. Needless to say I received an A on that report. When I was in High school I decided that my contribution to fashion would be through hair and that someday I would make it to New York City and do hair for designers. I took a pretty traditional approach attending a local beauty school and then finding the best salon in my hometown to start out my career. I realized shortly after my first year working in the salon that I wanted more and started looking at different companies and what they had to offer as far as education.  After many professional trainings through various companies, I ended up becoming drawn to Redken as a company and the sense of family that they incorporated into their educational approach. I was inspired by the beautiful haircolor .I love hair even more today than I did 16years ago. 

What has been your favorite job/show/presentation as a Redken Artist? One of the best experiences I have had in my career, happened back in 2003 while I was teaching a Creative Color program at The Redken Exchange in New York City.

Of the 40 students in my class one young lady stood out to me. What I saw in her was a resemblance of my own passion and love for hair. After the program she approached me and asked if she could have a few moments of my time. She then told me that she had never been so inspired than she had been in my class... She then said that it wasn’t just the techniques I was teaching but that she was inspired by my love of hair and the way I taught. She then said “I want to do what you do, you make me love what I do” ….  At that time my affirmation with my experience in teaching was validated.  But it wasn’t until about three years later that it really hit home for me. I was attending an educational event and I ran into the same young lady and she said to me... I’m an educator and it is because of you that I have the opportunity to share my love of hair with others... Thank you so much for being that person for me” That is when I understood the effect that we can have on peoples life... Since that day I have embraced that gift!  And her Name was Julie.

Which famous celebrities have you styled and who has been your favorite? I have to say not as famous as others I have done but my favorite is Mick Jaggers daughter. Liz Jagger she was real and honest.

What techniques do you use to create a total look / style? I use a montage of techniques, some modern and some from the past that I like to reinvent and make my own. I focus a lot on the shape and place my color on what I see and feel.

When you style someone’s image, what elements are the most relevant to you? What is most relevant to me is the person’s life style. Who they are and how they live their lives, depends how I create their total image.

Suggestions for good hair coloration…
Here are some things I would suggest for successful hair coloration. Healthy hair will always respond better to haircolor. So if it is not healthy use a protein pre-treatment to help restore strength to the hair. Haircolor binds to protein... think of it as adhesive for haircolor. Next choosing the right color can be difficult, I would recommend doing a color analysis on your client to determine the best levels and tones to support their skin tone and eye color. When choosing a technique for a client, take into consideration the shape of their face and place the color to enhance their shape. Another important suggestion for choosing your technique would be their lifestyle, decide the right maintenance for the client, this will always benefit your business in the future. Give your client a look they can maintain. And last be sure to send them home with protection for their haircolor, sun, water, and heat can take a toll on the hair. Keep it healthy and shiny. And of course teach them how to style their hair to showcase the color.


Chiala Marvici


No comments: